Postby RobT » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:26 am

Just to confirm..

0800 setup, start shooting around 1030?

Thanks

RobT
RobT

Cancelled

Postby harmonii » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:48 pm

Rob, Sorry, But I have a conflict, so will not be able to attend.

I ran it by the board and we decided to cancel it.

We've had some brainstorming sessions and are trying to figure out is people want the Saturday matches or not. The last 3 we have held have only been attended by a few PIPS members.

The points match was attended by 7 or 8. The reason it was a success was we had the rest of the 53 shooters come from all over the state.

If we have 10 people we loose money on the match.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

-harmon
What does MIM stand for, Made in Mexico?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein
harmonii

Postby RobT » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:55 pm

Hmmmmm. I would have thought the Sat ones would have drawn a lot more Roch folk. I gave a pitch to the Wabasha Co Sheriff's office today and gave them some video from the Wed club shoots to try and get a couple more coming. The word keeps spreading, and I haven't had anyone that has not really enjoyed USPSA. I could send out some group emails before the next one and try to get as many people to come as I can. A lot of the local officers that aren't USPSA members yet don't check the web pages, so I'll try and drumn up some interest for the next one.

Rob
RobT

Postby harmonii » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:23 am

Rob,

Thanks so much, If someone wanted to runthe match, I'd un-cancel it in a second. I spoke with the board last Wed. and we chose the option to cancel. Seems more than one of us is out of town this Saturday.

I have heard from 3 people now (including you) who were planning on attending.

Perhaps there is a way to offer advenced registration, so we'd know an approximate number.

-Harmon
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein
harmonii

June 12th match

Postby jake » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:34 pm

Hey guys, that's too bad Saturday is off. I too had that one in my plans. I've only been to your range once this year(points match) and found the range ok. Soo, maybe next time??????????

Jake L.
jake

Re: June 12th match

Postby harmonii » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:37 am

jake wrote:Hey guys, that's too bad Saturday is off. I too had that one in my plans. I've only been to your range once this year(points match) and found the range ok. Soo, maybe next time??????????

Jake L.

Thanks Jake, we'll get it sorted out next time! -Harmon
harmonii

attendence from local area

Postby jake » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:36 am

Hi Harmon, I was pondering some of the talk about you matches attendence and have a little feed-back for what it's worth to you. I've been around the section for a long time and perhaps a few other's like me may chime in with info.

For a relatively new IPSC club to get going, it takes a few years. In the beginning(a few years), you haave to cater to the "roving band" of hard-core IPSC competitors. These people come from other various clubs and most have improved their classification status by trying to be competitive. Once you(as a club) have established yourselve with this roving core group of Minn IPSC shooters, they will return to you. For the most part, most clubs in the state get their biggest turn out from this group, not membership. However, as you get more established among the IPSC community, you will see and increase in membership directly related to IPSC shooting. This will give you more man/woman power to set up and put on IPSC matches.

So, all this said and done, we all hope you make a good go at it and wish you the best success. It should also be noted that a little call for help during the growing times will usually be answered positively.

I hope this is constructive for your club. I'm looking foreward to another match at PINE ISLAND.............Jake L.
jake

match

Postby Pitel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:18 am

I'll add a couple words from my experience here.

I was speaking with a couple of shooters the other night and they were not happy about some of the matches around town here being canceled and dates switched. There is a fair amount of shooters who don't work 9-5 jobs and need to arrange their work schedules in advanced. When things change, their schedule may not be able to be as flexible.

At MAPSA, we have a firm policy. Once we schedule and post a match, That match will go on unless it is unsafe for humans. We want to get the message across that when we schedule a match, there will be no guessing if it will be on or not.

Our bottom line is that we will hold the match that we committed to. In fact, in January this year, the air temperature was -18 when we started. Well, 18 people showed up to shoot that match.
Matt Pitel
Pitel

Postby DAN HEFTA » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:47 am

I'd like to put my $.02 in on this subject. I think that these small league type matches are to complicated and we are trying to set up stages that are too complex for the time we have to shoot. I have noticed that at these league matches there are a lot of new shooters, who are pretty nervous to start off with, and we throw no shoots, hard cover and difficult steel shots at them and they get very discouraged. Keep it easy and fun. I know this is a sport and we all want to get better, but if it isn't fun only the die hards are going to show up.
DAN HEFTA

Postby Travis Ahrens » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:26 pm

DAN HEFTA wrote:I have noticed that at these league matches there are a lot of new shooters, who are pretty nervous to start off with, and we throw no shoots, hard cover and difficult steel shots at them and they get very discouraged.

no-shoots, hard-cover, and steel ... oh my! Image

I agree ... we need much more clams, swingers, drop-turners, bear-traps, and STARS!!! Image

NRA Bullseye? ... try the next booth. Image

Dan, feel free to punch me ... at the next Duluth points match. Image
Travis Ahrens

Postby DAN HEFTA » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:30 pm

Well said, I knew that this subject would cause some tension.
DAN HEFTA

Return to Pine Island Practical Shooters