Scoring Help

Moderator: DanM

Scoring Help

Postby DanM » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:29 pm

As some of you know, I have been looking for some help with scoring over the last couple of weeks. There were a few people who expressed interest in learning, but what I really needed at the time was someone that could just pick it up and go without any real instruction. I REALLY appreciate the interest from those who were willing, but at this time, it's easier and takes less time to just do it than it does to train someone else.

Up to this point, I have been the only regular shooter at PIPS who knows how to use the scoring software. I've had some fantastic occasional help from Nancy and Dave G., but Nancy already scores for another club on a regular basis, and Dave doesn't shoot with us as much as he used to (we miss you, Dave! :). This season, we have had a lot of shooters coming down fairly regularly from other parts of the state; if any of you are familiar with EZWinScore and would be willing to take on scoring every now and then, it would be much appreciated. In particular, I will not be shooting on July 3...I imagine a lot of you will be out of town, but if someone is willing to help that week it would be great.

For those of you that are interested in learning to score, I am planning to do some kind of training, hopefully within the next month or so. If time permits, I'll put together some instructions; otherwise, I'll just set up in the classroom after the match one night and do the scores using a projector. For the most part, if you've seen it done once you can get through it on your own pretty easily. At first, scoring a match might take a couple of hours. After you've done it a few times, it's usually about an hour or so.

Long term, there are a couple of goals for the club in terms of PIPS scoring. The first is to obtain a laptop for the club that can be used by whomever is scoring on a particular night. One of the problems with EZWS is that it stores quite a bit of information locally, especially shooter information. If everyone installs it on the home computers, we'll all have a different version of that information. A common laptop will make things a bit easier. Second is to start testing PractiScore, which allows for electronic scoring using an Apple or Android device during the match, rather than using paper score sheets. At the end of the match, the results are combined from each squad automatically and can be imported into EZWS. This should greatly reduce the time required of the stats person.

Finally, I apologize for the delayed posting of results lately. Things have been ridiculously hectic, but have hopefully settled down for a while. I generally try to have scores posted the night of the match, and plan to get back on that schedule as soon as possible.

dwm
DanM

Re: Scoring Help

Postby Kevcollins » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks Dan. I'm definitely interested in seeing how its done.
Kevcollins

Return to Pine Island Practical Shooters