2016 Section Meeting Minutes

These minutes are un-approved until voted on by the EC

Moderator: Kevcollins

2016 Section Meeting Minutes

Postby ttolliver » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:28 pm

Minutes from the Minnesota Section 2016 Annual Meeting
Pine Island White Pines Sportsman’s Club
December 3, 2015

Call to Order
- The meeting was called to order by Kevin Collins at 12:02pm
- Voting members of the Executive Committee in attendance
- Kevin Collins, Section Coordinator
- Kevin Collins, PIPS
- Tom Tolliver, MAPSA
- Ross Rosenberg, SCAPSA
- Rich Kavanagh, MG&F
- Joe Griffin, Oakdale
- Bob Linder, GRRC
- Ron Westberg, FLPSC
- Non-voting members of the Executive Committee in attendance
- Bob Linder, Treasurer
- Tom Tolliver, Secretary
- Other individuals in attendance
- Mike Bertrand, MAPSA President-elect
- Duane Eggers
- Steve Tri
- Paige Collins

2015 Minutes
- Tom Tolliver read the 2015 minutes
- No questions or corrections
- Bob Linder motioned to accept minutes; Ross Rosenberg seconded; executive committee voted to accept with no opposition

2016 Agenda
- Kevin Collins reviewed the proposed agenda
- Rich Kavanagh motioned to accept the agenda; Joe Griffin seconded; executive committee voted to accept with no opposition

Treasurer’s Report
- Bob handed out and reviewed the report
- Net income of section match on report is $74.57
- Misplaced match fee check of $125 just found; will be deposited next year
- Net section match income totals to $199.57
- Estimated balance after insurance, taxes, etc. will be around $400 to $500
- Discussion of the section filing with the Federal government as a 501c, likely 501c7
- Bob to follow up with info from Steve Tri
- Ross Rosenberg motioned to accept the report; Ron Westberg seconded; executive committee voted to accept with no opposition

Section Points Series Plaques
- Kevin outlined issue with bylaws not being clear on plaque winners; further discussion will be held under New Business
- Kevin stepped through the winners
- Kevin intends to have the plaques mailed directly to winners

Activity Fee
- Kevin opened discussion of this perennial topic
- Revisited Tom’s point from last year that we should start with the purpose for the funds, not just generate funds without a purpose
- Ron said he may be unable to vote for an additional fee impacting his club finances without prior notice so he can gain approval from his board in advance
- Tom pointed out that at a prior Annual meeting it was passed to pause fee until further notice; Duane suggested this may not have been a legal motion as it contravenes the bylaws, which Kevin indicated was exactly why he felt it important to discuss and act on each year
- Upon reading the relevant section the group noted a couple opportunities to tighten and clarify the verbiage; this may be addressed as part of the next bylaws update
- Bob Linder motion to waive activity fee for 2017; Joe Griffin seconded; executive committee voted to accept with no opposition

Activity Points
- Kevin shared and stepped through the club activity report, showing how per bylaws it was used to hand out Nationals slots
- There was little interest in Open this year with 3 slots unfilled until Kevin gained approval from Sherwyn to offer the slots as PCC and CO
- No info yet on Production Nationals dates or slots; HQ has said they won’t announce until venue contracts completed

Bylaws Updates on Competitor Definition for MN Points Series
- Kevin stepped though current bylaws and issue with defining competitors
- The requirement that competitors be a member of the section has traditionally been interpreted as MN residents, although there are no formal definitions supporting this interpretation
- Requirement to shoot a simple majority of the Points Series matches has also been a traditional requirement, although that appears to have been applied by policy not bylaw or other requirement; it is invaluable in cutting down the number of participants potentially awarded plaques
- Proposed bylaws update to the following:
- 7.2.3.4 To be considered a "competitor" for purposes of award calculations, the competitor must:
- 7.2.3.4.1 Be a member of the Section; and
- 7.2.3.4.2 Have competed in a simple majority of the club points matches for the year.
- Lengthy discussion followed; key points included:
- The current executive committee is completely open to recognizing those who live outside of MN but contribute to the sport within MN to be full members of the MN section by reason of participation; examples like states with 3 sections were given to support geographical boundary being problematic and not likely a basis for definition within the wider USPSA organization
- Duane pointed out that a prior USPSA President and DNROI said what constitutes a Section is up to the local AD and SC
- One idea is to recognize the section as defined by club participation and/or membership, although not all section clubs have a formal membership
- Ross proposed we retain simple majority of matches but drop the member of Section
- Kevin to follow up with Sherwyn on his perspective and work towards an amendment to the bylaws next year; right now we would propose only
7.2.3.4 To be considered a "competitor" for purposes of award calculations, the competitor must have competed in a simple majority of the club points matches for the year.
- Unless something changes before the points series starts the plan for 2017 will be to continue with the two traditional interpretations (resident of MN and simple majority of points matches)
- Bob Linder motion to accept this recommendation; Ross Rosenberg seconded; executive committee voted to accept with no opposition

Section Forum and MNDVC
- Tom outlined the issue with our mnuspsa.org website linking to the forum that has been essentially dead for a few years and not to the facebook MNDVC group where all of the activity went; this led to the proposal to link MNDVC and kill the forum
- Kevin pointed out that he still used the forum it for announcements, although it appears he is indeed the only user
- Kevin to send out a message through the forum to see how many actually respond that they need/want alerts through that medium
- Tom advised that there’s no pressing need to get rid of the forum, only that it represents a form of old dusty clutter that makes a statement as a dead end and should go away if it truly isn’t being used
- Discussion tabled with approval to add MNDVC link to mnuspsa.org; no motion required or passed

2016 Calendar Review
- Stepped through the calendar for the year, reconciling match dates between clubs
- Key Match Dates
- MAPSA Points May 13
- SCAPSA Points June 3
- PIPS Points June 17
- FRPC Points June 25
- GRRC Points July 8
- FLPSC Points July 22
- MG&F Points July 29
- MN Section August 18-19-20
- Annual Section Mtg December 2 (noon)

Section Match Planning
- Dates set
- Setup Friday, August 18
- Staff Shoot Saturday, August 19
- Match Date Sunday, August 20
- Stages
- Plan to have a small group of stage designers rather than club submissions
- Still assign to clubs for construction
- Discussion on designing stages to use props minimizing lower bay construction issues pounding stakes
- RM not determined yet

Elections
- Discussed potential SC candidates
- Discussion of Josh Eernisse next year
- Anticipate Josh as Deputy SC this year
- Ross nominated Kevin Collins for Section Coordinator; Rich seconded
- Kevin Collins accepted the nomination
- No other nominations were made
- Kevin Collins election to office carried with no opposition
- Kevin Collins appointed Bob Linder as Treasurer
- Bob Linder agreed to the appointment
- The Executive Committee voted to ratify the appointment with no opposition
- Kevin Collins appointed Tom Tolliver as Secretary
- Tom Tolliver agreed to the appointment
- The Executive Committee voted to ratify the appointment with no opposition
- Kevin Collins is pursuing appointment of Josh Eernisse as Deputy Section Coordinator
- The Executive Committee voted to ratify the appointment with no opposition
- Kevin to advise the board of Josh’s decision
- Kevin Collins is pursuing appointment of Tiffany Overland as Sponsorship Coordinator
- The Executive Committee voted to ratify the appointment with no opposition
- Kevin to advise the board of Tiffany’s decision

Open Forum
- No new topics

Meeting Adjourned
- Rich Kavanagh motioned to adjourn the meeting; Joe Griffin seconded; executive committee voted to accept with no opposition
- Meeting adjourned at 3:05pm

Subsequent to the Meeting
- Josh Eernisse has accepted the position of Deputy Section Coordinator
- Tiffany Overland has accepted the position of Sponsorship Coordinator but needs someone to provie assistance to her in this role
Tom Tolliver
MAPSA President
MN Section Secretary
A-71454
ttolliver
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Return to Section Meeting Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron